On Nov 14, 2008, at 11:01 AM, Shandy Nantz wrote:
> Rob Biedenharn wrote:
>>
>> Oh, I see part of your problem: You need to group the alternation to
>> see what you want.
>>                      => An UPPER with one or more lowers,
>>                         followed by some characters within
>>                         square brackets
>>                     v---------------------v
>> /(\w|\s)+, [A-Z]{2}|[A-Z][a-z]{1,}\[(.+?)\]/
>>  ^----------------^
>>    => Some word or
>>       space characters,
>>       a comma,
>>       and 2 letters
>>
>> I think you intended to have:
>>               v------v
>> /(\w|\s)+, (?:[A-Z]{2}|[A-Z][a-z]{1,})\[(.+?)\]/
>>                        ^------------^
>> Grouped with (?: ) which is a non-capturing group.
>>
>> (But my earlier message still holds.)
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> Rob Biedenharn    http://agileconsultingllc.com
>> Rob / AgileConsultingLLC.com
>
> Can you direct me to some good online resources where some Ruby
> methods
> ar listed? I didn't know that there was a method for a string named
> "match" that would return a string and not just chomp of various
> characters. I have a book on Ruby an it is well writen but a list on
> methods broken down to what methods are for which classes would be
> helpful? Thanks,
>
> -S

If you don't have a copy of "Programming Ruby"[1] aka, the Pickaxe
book, it's well worth getting.  If you are new to Ruby, you can get
pretty far with the online first edition[2] which covers Ruby 1.6
(second edition is 1.8, anticipated 3rd edition is 1.9 and currently a
beta-book).

You can locally use ri (or get fri, the fastri alternative) to get docs.

ri String
ri String#match
ri Regexp#match
ri MatchData