Let's provide more information.  The contents of pw_path include this:

C:\PW\firstprep;C:\PW\rapid\docs;C:\PW\la;C:\PW\rapid;c:\pw\pst;

And the application I want to execute is presort.exe, which is located
in c:\pw\pst;

I would like to be able to tell the O/S you have to look in the above
folders to find presort.exe, just as you would using PATH.  In a
sense, I would like to temporarily merge the contents of pw_path into
the search path of PATH.

Is that better?
dvn