I just realized that the feature is only available in C/C++ mode.
There is no such thing as (setq ruby-tab-always-indent nil).

Based on the previous reply, I have been inserting tabs in ruby-mode
using C-Q TAB and it works.  However, after inserting tabs this way
many times, my fingers get tired.  How can I define a short cut using
a control key to enter C-Q TAB?  It it something like (global-set-key
"\C-f" 'xxxx) but I don't know what to enter in xxxx.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bill