I decided to just add a maximum image file size for the original image.
I already have a maximum attachment size of 1mb but it's still nice to
keep things a bit under control.

So I just added the following to the styles:
:original => ["800x600>", :png]

and it works as intended (resizing if over 800x600 AND converts to png).
Still would be nice to know what the code is to change the extension of
the original file though for future reference. Again, I know it's
probably simple but my mind is running on E right now.

Thanks again and hope this helps someone in the future!

-Tony