Adam Bender wrote:
> Threads can work, but most networking code I've written uses
> Kernel#select.  It's an incredibly powerful, yet somewhat hard to
> master, method that allows you to read and write on many sockets
> (actually IO objects) at the same time.  It sounds like you want two
> read objects, one for the server and one for the database, and that
> you want to write to the network socket (yes, can you can read and
> write to the same socket - just use "puts" as well as "gets", or
> whatever equivalent methods you like) in the part of the code that
> handles what happens when the database socket is ready to be read.
>
> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ref_m_kernel.html#Kernel.select
>
> HTH,
>
> Adam

Thanks Adam!

I looked for examples using select and I mostly found chat servers. I
tried it out and it does look like an effective and powerful approach. I
still though don't understand how to trigger a read from another socket
if I want to monitor a directory or a database. I wish though I could
find better examples in the internet. How would you set up a socket to
monitor a directory or database or is my understanding of the matter
off?

I checked out EventMachine as well which looks great just that since I
want to learn I want to try out making something from scratch.