--=-RXVF7gdk6lOy03D9cOJf

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 02:48 +0900, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 03.11.2008 17:11, Stefano Crocco wrote:
>=20
> > I think the closest you can get to the Java syntax is this:
> >=20
> > def new o, *args
> >   o.class =3D=3D Class ? o.new(*args) : o
> > end
>=20
> Can someone please explain to me what we gain by doing this?

I am frequently converting Java code to Ruby using cut & paste.  At most
the code needs about 10% changing to run, and the "new" operator is one
of those changes.  If I didn't have to do it, the first step of
converting, getting it to run, will go much faster.

I always convert completely to ruby conventions, but I appreciate being
able to do it in small steps.

If the new operator, and accessing class constants using Class.CONSTANT
was available, step 1 would be smaller.

I would only use this for development.

--=20
With kind regards,