On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:29:43 +1100, Guy N. Hurst wrote:

First, I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

> Markus Jais wrote:

> But although Ruby is founded in Linux, if it is to be useful for the
> 'masses' and a candidate for paid work/jobs, then it will have to be
> provided with a windows-specific approach.

Except this one :-). I think there will eventually be plenty of
paid jobs for Ruby programmers, writing server-end stuff. I have
no idea what the percentages are, but I would guess that currently
there are more people being paid to write non-GUI Java apps (just
as an example) than there are being paid to write GUI things in
Java.  I would think the percentages go even further in the non-GUI
direction when you look at perl.

I may be completely wrong, of course.  Does anyone know of any
statistics on this?