Hi,

When I searched the archives, I found the posting below.  Currently I am
using Linux-Mandrake 8.1.  It is true that the emacs 20.7.1 that came with
Mandrake was able to recognize Ruby mode.

However, after I upgraded my emacs to 21.1.1 and followed the instructions
below, it does not work anymore (Emacs reverts to Fundamental mode) and
Emacs prints the following error:

    File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load
file" "ruby-mode")

Is there anything else that I should do?  Thanks.

Regards,

Bill
"Noel Rappin" <noel.rappin / openwave.com> writes:

> I'd really appreciate it if somebody could give me a pointer on how to
get
> Emacs to recognize ruby-mode -- where to put the file, what to put in my
> .emacs to get it to recognize the mode, etc....

Basically you need to have the el file distributed with ruby in emacs
resource dir:

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ruby-mode.el

And relevant info to use the ruby-mode for ruby files, in your .emacs, or
in /etc/emacs/site-start.d

For example, the one we provide with Linux-Mandrake in site-start.d
contains:

(autoload 'ruby-mode "ruby-mode" "Ruby editing mode." t)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\.rb$" . ruby-mode))
(add-to-list 'interpreter-mode-alist '("ruby" . ruby-mode))

Of course, if you install Linux-Mandrake, just install packages Emacs and
Ruby and it will work out of the box :-).