bobx / linuxmail.org (Bob) writes:

[...]

> > > My Ruby program keeps getting better.  I have thought that I may rewrite
> > > it in Python because Python comes standard with Linux, and Ruby is an
> > > add-on.

- redhat has been using python in its tools for quite a few time now.
- mandrake is just including a new tool requiring python-base (a subset of
python, not all libraries are there), making python available in default
installations.

> > My Mandrake 8.1 came with Ruby.
> >

> As does RH 7.2...

Seems like they included it when merging their japaneese fork.
But nobody at redhat's is following ruby very closely. last changelog (not
counting automatic rebuilds) is:

* Fri Jul 20 2001 Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero / redhat.com> 1.6.4-2

- Remove Japanese description and summaries; they belong in specspo and
  break rpm
- Clean up specfile
- Mark language specific files (README.jp) as such
- bzip2 sources
- rename the libruby package to ruby-libs for consistency
- Exclude ia64 (doesn't build - the code doesn't seem to be 64-bit clean
  [has been excluded on alpha forever])

By the way, any contributions/fix/... on mandrake packages are welcome :)

cu