Brian Candler wrote:

>> 1. compare getoptlong to optparse
>
> Ruby has both :-) That is, you will find both getoptlong.rb and
> optparse.rb in the standard library.

I *did* mean ruby's getoptlong.

> However even optparse.rb is rather verbose to use, and there are other
> competitors in this space (e.g. commandline, trollop). You choose the
> one which suits you best.

That's a great example. I am aware of various command-line parsers, each
making some aspect of the problem easier.

> It just goes to show that even the ruby core language designers don't
> always have the deepest insights into "the best" API at the time when
> they first write one. More succinct and powerful APIs often develop
> through new insights from users of the older ones.

Today I was glancing at some of the ORM's: sequel, datamapper and seeing
the same thing you mention.

> I'd say you'll develop a sense for this over time. But don't worry about
> it too much.

I worked on Java for several years (my first OOPL), and became pretty
decent in OOAD with Java. But read many many books for that, and
eyeballed a lot of code, too. I am hoping to shorten that process with
ruby. Thanks for the pointers. Thanks also to all the bloggers who are
sharing their experiences and insights.