--1926193751-1968659905-12247285654725

Hi --

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Trans wrote:

> On Oct 22, 6:08 ¨Βν¬ ΆΠιτ ΓαπιταιξΌπιτ®γαπιτ®®®ΐηναιμ®γονΎ χςοτεΊ
>
>> Tom, that's easy if you split the creation of the classes from naming them:
>>
>> y = Class.new
>>
>> class X < y
>> end
>>
>> X::Y = y
>>
>> p X.ancestors  => [X, X::Y, Object, Kernel]
>
> Thanks Pit (and David),
>
> The solution is cleaner than I thought it would be actually --that's
> good, but I avoided this direction myself b/c of how it would effect
> RDocs. RDoc sees X::Y as just a constant and not a class. Yea, I know
> I shouldn't code to the rdocs, but unfortunately RDocs are important.
> Maybe something to consider for improving Rdocs in the future, a way
> to force it to recognize certain dynamic designs as particular
> constructs. But I digress...

I really wouldn't worry about RDoc in this context. Ruby is always
going to be too dynamic and elastic for all of it to be captured by
pre-processing for documentation (and the dangers of executing code in
order to document it are too great).

David

   Intro to Ruby on Rails  January 12-15   Fort Lauderdale, FL
   Advancing with Rails    January 19-22   Fort Lauderdale, FL *
   * Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!