Thanks for all the replies.

I've looked into your suggestions with more depth, and the possibility
I'm liking the most is the Phusion's Passenger mod.

But first I think I'm gonna try liquid's mini-tutorial on how to use
just merb-core to get a one-page app working. It looks like the more
hands-on approach, and it's what I'm looking for at the moment.

I had read about Sinatra earlier, but it looks like the project is
offline. Vintage looks interesting, but it appears to be somewhat
abandoned.

Just something else that isn't quite clear to me: my app should be
written in an erb file, right? Or HAML or the like.