On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Robert Klemme
<shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> See above. But normally I'd parse the text in chunks using the slash
>>> at the beginning of the line as delimiter and submit statements
>>> separately.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean.. could you please elaborate a bit?
>
> Instead of submitting the whole file as a single statement (string) to the
> database, parse (or split) it into chunks (using "^/" as delimiter) and
> submit those chunks one by one.

It is what sqlplus and other Oracle tools do. Oracle cannot run more than
one bare SQL statement or PL/SQL block at once.

Another (unusual) way is submitting a PL/SQL block which contains SQL
statements as follows:

BEGIN
   BEGIN
      EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'DROP TYPE crosstab_report_tbl';
   EXCEPTION
      WHEN OTHERS THEN NULL;
   END;
   EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'create table tester2 (counter int)';
END;