From: esmero / gmail.com [mailto:esmero / gmail.com]
Sent: donderdag 16 oktober 2008 11:19
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: How to go from a ruby script to a working website?

As you've probably guessed by the title, total newbie here.

My main interest is developing web stuff, and for that I started
learning programming through PHP. However, I discovered Ruby and
immediately fell in love with it.

I started following Chris Pine's Learn to Program and with the knowledge
I got so far, I started building a few very simple programs of my own.
The thing is that they're all limited to the Terminal (I have a mac),
but what I really want is to use them through a web interface (inputs,
forms, submit, etc) so I can also experiment with Javascript/AJAX.

However, I have no clue how to do that and can't seem to find
information on it anywhere. It seems the only way to access Ruby
programs through a webpage is with the aid of frameworks like Rails and
Merb, and they seem like too much trouble for what would be a simple
one-page app. I guess could use Camping or only the Merb-core, but I
would like to understand exactly what I'm doing, and just basically be
able do it all by myself.

So, what am I missing? What is the link between .rb and .html?