2008/10/15 Bryan Richardson <btricha / gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the reply Robert.  I'm accessing a MySQL database from the
> scripts rather than the file system.  Would this have the same
> bottleneck?

Probably.  This depends on your network connectivity, how MySQL is
configured (connection limits), what the IO bandwidth of MySQL's
filesystem is and how MySQL is implemented (single threaded vs. multi
threaded etc.).

Looks like you have fallen into a classical performance optimization
scenario.  Now you'll have to find out where time is spent... :-)

Kind regards

robert