Hi --

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Brian Candler wrote:

> Is there general consensus on the stability of 1.8.7pXXX with Rails?
> Anyone running it in large-scale production?
>
> 1.8.7 backports a number of new features from 1.9, which concerns me
> somewhat, but my biggest concern is how well it's been tested with
> Rails.

Jeremy Kemper has been monitoring and fixing things in that area, I
believe. He said on rails-core:

   Rails 2.1 [...] is fully 1.8.7 compatible (1.8.7 backports a lot of
   stuff from 1.9, breaking older apps).

   I recommend staying on 1.8.6 for all pre-2.1 Rails apps.

I myself do not use 1.8.7 for anything. I've reluctantly concluded, as
others have said here, that's it not a useful release. It's too
different from 1.8.6, and I don't believe there's a need for a 1.9-ish
1.8 release. I know the rationale, as expressed by Matz, is that it is
supposed to help with the transition to 1.9, but I personally don't
feel the need for a transition version.

David

   Intro to Ruby on Rails  January 12-15   Fort Lauderdale, FL
   Advancing with Rails    January 19-22   Fort Lauderdale, FL *
   * Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!