On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:41:58 -0500, Erik Hollensbe wrote:

> The Neurochild wrote:
>>> Do you have a particular reason to do this?
>>>
>>> I only ask because there have been bad problems with Rails running
>>> under Ruby released versions later than p114. I'm not sure if p287 has
>>> fixed them all (perhaps others can comment on this). If you want
>>> stability in production, and your distribution has a p111 or p114 plus
>>> just the security patches, then personally I'd stick with that.
>>
>> I understand your point of view, but as you can see, I have the first
>> release (patch level 0), so I'm very concerned. Debian only has v.
>> 1.8.5, and I'm also working with Rails 2.1. I always pass through the
>> Ruby website and didn't know the importance of the patch but now.
>
> # apt-get install checkinstall
>
> then:
>
> # ./configure <options, make sure to set the "postfix the binary with
> the version" option>
> # make
> # checkinstall
>
> checkinstall will ask you several questions about your package, and then
> run 'make install' but instead of putting it into your normal filesystem
> it will install it into a faked fs. then, it will build a .deb out of
> the contents.
>
> HTH.
>
> -Erik

You don't want to do that in this case because there are a whole bunch of
Ruby packages in Debian that will be replaced by one if you do this, and
wierd unexplained packaging conflicts will abound if you try to install
one of those parts of ruby in conjunction with your own package.

Since you're running Debian Stable, why don't you just upgrade to 1.8.7
from backports.org.

Instructions are at http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/