On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 02:13:33 -0500, The Neurochild wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a Debian 4 machine with Ruby 1.8.6 (installed from source) and
> some gems including Rails 2.1 and Phusion Passenger 2.0.3 (mod_rails,
> which needs fastthread and rack gems). I want to update to the latest
> patch of that version (1.8.6-p287), but I have my concerns. Can I do it
> safely? Is there any warning, any catch? Will I have to reinstall
> RubyGems and every single gem? What's your advice before patching? Will
> all the dependent apps be screwed up? I'm asking this because,
> unfortunately, there's no "make uninstall" command after installing Ruby
> from source... Really! I tried, but failed miserably. The only choice I
> see is to erase the folder where it's located, I doubt installing the
> patch overwrites all the files.
>
> Any suggestion is welcomed. Later...
>
> Juan "The Neurochild" Escajadillo

Upgrade to 1.8.7 from backports.org
There will be no need to reinstall rubygems or your gems, though some C
extensions that work with internal structures in the ruby interpreter may
require reinstallation. (I don't have a list of what would, but let's
just say those are few and far between.)

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/