On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:55 AM, Nit Khair <sentinel.2001 / gmx.com> wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
>  You
>> might get some inspiration from sup and raggle too, though I've not
>> looked at the source of either.
>>
>> martin
>
> I hope it is not inappropriate to continue this disc here (since its
> being mailed to a lot of people).

Not at all :) I took a look at your screenshots, looks pretty
promising. Are you going to be releasing the curses layer as a
standalone library?

> So my initial impression, is that these project are not ideal for
> understanding how ncurses is to be used. However, i think sup would be
> great for me to get ideas on how to allow customization of my app. The
> sup "TextField" class takes into account history and completions which
> could be useful someday.

There are readline bindings for ruby too. And check out the excellent
Highline project.

> 3. I had checked Shoes some days back, it seems all the windowing code
> is in the C compiled file.

Shoes is a GUI toolkit, anyway.

> Anyway, I am wondering if you (or anyone) could give me some inputs on
> this problem i face.
>
> A) I have my project files in a folder. The templates, the application
> modules and runtime classes etc. In the *same* directory i create my
> DSLS and then generate programs to run. Its becoming a mess.
>
> If i use another working folder for my DSLs and output programs, the
> requires will fail. How does one go about working on a project in one
> location, and using it in another. (I do not want to place my project in
> /opt/local/...site_ruby, while I am developing).

In the first line of your code,

$LOAD_PATH << "/path/to/library"

You can use $: if you like (it's an alias for the same variable).

> B) I have been looking through various projects, and I see one
> structure:
> Lets say the project is proj v 0.1
>
>    proj0.1 - lib/
>                 -- proj.rb
>                 -- proj/
>                           --- x.rb, y.rb etc
>
> Is there a place where this structure is explained? I understand that

I believe this was the convention used by setup.rb
[http://i.loveruby.net/en/projects/setup/]. Nowadays, I'd use one of
the gem packaging tools like hoe instead.

martin