The Neurochild wrote:
>> Do you have a particular reason to do this?
>>
>> I only ask because there have been bad problems with Rails running under
>> Ruby released versions later than p114. I'm not sure if p287 has fixed
>> them all (perhaps others can comment on this). If you want stability in
>> production, and your distribution has a p111 or p114 plus just the
>> security patches, then personally I'd stick with that.
>
> I understand your point of view, but as you can see, I have the first
> release (patch level 0), so I'm very concerned. Debian only has v.
> 1.8.5, and I'm also working with Rails 2.1. I always pass through the
> Ruby website and didn't know the importance of the patch but now.

# apt-get install checkinstall

then:

# ./configure <options, make sure to set the "postfix the binary with
the version" option>
# make
# checkinstall

checkinstall will ask you several questions about your package, and then
run 'make install' but instead of putting it into your normal filesystem
it will install it into a faked fs. then, it will build a .deb out of
the contents.

HTH.

-Erik