On Oct 11, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Leslie Cain wrote:
> Ok, so this is what I need to do for the program. I am not the best
> programmer in the world and I need a little help.
>
> Assignment:
>
> Create a program that obtains disk usage information from du and uses
> it to print a histogram of the disk usage of the directories given as
> command line arguments. The histogram should consist of a string with
> one hash mark per megabyte of disk usage.
>

> This is what I have so far.
>

> require 'fileutils'
>
> specified_directory = Dir.new("#{ARGV[0]}")
>
> disk_usage_info = `du #{specified_directory} -a`
>
> file_size = Hash.new(0)
>

> disk_usage_file.each_line do |file, size|
> #Builds the hash with the filename and the sizes
>
> end
>
> file_size.each do|file, size|
>       #changes value to histogram of numbers and shows results
>
>       size = '#' * size / 1024
>
>       if size < 0
>         puts file +"\t | " + size
>
>       else
>         puts file
>
>     end
>
>   end
>

> I think I have the first part and the last part down pretty well, I am
> stuck on how to get the du output into the hash so I can output it
> correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Spudicus87

First, you might be overdoing the directory part.  You may want to
simply test File.directory?(ARGV[0])

Look at each line in the du output.  If it's anything like mine
(MacOSX), you have a number, some spaces, and a filename.  Presumably
the filename could have embedded spaces so that may cause trouble if
you aren't careful.

Here are some hints:

Regexp#match (or String#=~) to catch both pieces.

String#split on the spaces between the number and the filename using
the optional second parameter to limit the number of parts.

String#to_i or Integer() to get an Integer from a string of digits

You might look at Kernel.sprintf or String#% to format at least the
filename portion of the output.

You may not even need to put the data into a Hash (or Array or
whatever) if you can process each line directly to the output that you
want.

-Rob

Rob / AgileConsultingLLC.com