Martin DeMello wrote:

> Another neat but sadly abandoned TUI project is jttuii:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/jttui/
>
> martin

Am going thru the jttui source. I like the way he has done buttons,
dialogs etc. For example:

> bq=JTTWButton.new(d1, 'Quit Button', 3, 2, 11, 1, 'Quit') {
>    JTTui.addmessage nil, :close}

However, a little surprisingly he does not use anything from ncurses -
not even WINDOW, FORM, FIELD etc. So i am a bit lost. He has a C file,
jtcur.c which has this mysterious line:

>  * curses's Window stuff has been eliminated
>  * (IMHO it exist just because C programers don't have power
>  *  of ruby to make it (or better) on their own :-))

Can't figure out whether be bypasses curses altogether, although he
includes it in this one c file. Is he totally replacing curses ?

That said, I do not really like the text UI of jttui, or newt (similar
to the dialog command) - the popup/ dialogs etc. I tried out CDK too,
and did not like the widgets too.

I find alpine/pine's UI very pleasing and "clean". My app bases itself
on the pine look and feel - the same menu page, key labels at the bottom
of each screen, text messages and user input on the 3rd from last line
(instead of a popup/dialog).

However, i can learn a lot from jttui and other similar projects on how
i can make fields, labels, windows, panels easier to use, by making a
proper OO wrapper.