On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 04:14:41AM +0900, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2008, at 23:22 PM, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
>> stickler version 0.1.0 has been released.
>>
>>  gem install stickler
>>
>> http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/stickler
>>
>> Stickler is a tool to organize and maintain an internal gem
>> repository.
>
> Looks like a nice tool, some notes:

Thanks.

> ~> doesn't mean "Approximately greater than", it's described here:
>
> http://blog.zenspider.com/2008/10/rubygems-howto-preventing-cata.html
>
> but to save you a click works like this:
>
>> 3.y.z         "~> 3.0"
>> 3.0.z         "~> 3.0.0"
>> 3.5.z to <4.0 "~> 3.5"
>> 3.5.z to <3.6 "~> 3.5.0"
>
> Which is clearer than my english description, "matches a version from the
> specified release up to but not including a release with a higher version
> in the second most specific dot".  (Clumsy, yes)

Yes, I understand what it means, and it is always hard to describe.  That chart
is a very nice demonstration.  I was trying to figure out the best way to put it
concisely and ended up coping the description from
http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/16#page74, that link is also displayed at
the interactive prompt.

"Approximately greater than" is definitely not what it is.  How about
"Pessimistically Greater Than" or  "Greater Than Up to a Point"?  Any other
suggestions?

>> found = source_specs.select do | spec |
>>   dependency =~ Gem::Dependency.new( spec.name, spec.version )
>> end
>
> In a future version of RubyGems, I'm going to make Gem::Dependency#=~ and
> Gem::Specification#=~ work with each other and duck type it so you don't
> have to go through that extra step.

Thanks, that will be useful.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy / hinegardner.org