On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Frasier Mruby wrote:

> David A. Black wrote:
>
>> Once you look at it that way, turning Ruby into language soup makes no
>> sense at all.
>
> I read the article, David. I understand what the article tries to say:
> "After you've heard Matz discuss how he thinks about these things, all
> the more do you realize that "to make C++ programmers feel more at home"
> just isn't in the ballpark."
>
> My intention of syntax improvement on "END" is more like to make less
> typing and eye catching to find matching code, rather than to make ruby
> feel more like C/C++.
>
> Maybe I didn't make myself clear completely.

For better or worse, I had drifted a bit from the original topic (as I
mentioned at the end of my post).

> I understand as a newbie, Robert and most others suggest me to use ruby
> more to see if I have different feeling about "END". But to make my
> point more explicit, the intention of my original post is rather than a
> syntax suggestion change, but more a support of ruby creator MATS's
> intention and experiment (already made) on alternative syntax of "END".
> Mats's this syntax experiment likely involved other ruby guru's support
> in ruby core team.  They are not newbies like me or just casually jumped
> in this decision, right?
>
> I just additionally brought about some examples of candidates for the
> alternative of keyword "END".  I agreed with Robert that those
> candidates may not be realistic.  Mats has the final decision which I
> will support no matter he decide to change or not, or what the new
> syntax be like.
>
> To make it short, I am on Mats side, who expressed and experimented a
> syntax alternative for "END", while it seems Robert, David and some
> others are on a different side with ruby's creator, Mats.  That's sounds
> a little interesting,  huh? :)

No, not interesting at all. I'm on a different side from Matz on lots
of proposed Ruby changes, and a few that make it in. I think everyone
is; no one just says "Great!" to every single feature of Ruby, and
Matz has never asked or expected us to. Please don't start playing
some kind of loyalty-to-Matz game. I'm sure he's seen this thread and
will take it under advisement.

David

   Intro to Ruby on Rails  January 12-15   Fort Lauderdale, FL
   Advancing with Rails    January 19-22   Fort Lauderdale, FL *
   * Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!