M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> If you want to dynamically link -- for example, if you have a
> dynamically linked lapack-atlas on Gentoo Linux -- how difficult is it?
> Atlas runs like a scalded duck on my Athlon64 X2!

It should automatically work; it links to whatever it finds as -llapack.
I just tested an ATLAS-based Linalg on Ubuntu and it runs well.  (In
fact I had forgot about ATLAS until you mentioned it.)

In Ubuntu the vanilla LAPACK is

  % sudo apt-get install lapack3-dev

while the ATLAS LAPACK is

  % sudo apt-get install atlas3-base-dev

Alternatives like atlas3-sse2-dev are also available.

What I said about the Mac was wrong -- the Mac binaries are linked to
LAPACK and BLAS libraries which appear to be present on all 10.4 and
10.5 machines (the Accelerate framework).  So it's a dynamic link, but
there are still no external dependencies.

James M. Lawrence