-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 00:36:16 +0900
> Von: Cayce Balara <house / balara.com>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: Making/Compiling Gems on Windows with MinGW

> > What gem are you trying to compile?
> >

> eventmachine is the one I'm currently having problems with but there are
> others, like hpricot, that I just have older versions of that are
> precompiled instead of the most current build.
>
> > Also, if you have gcc.exe and make.exe in your PATH, there will be no
> > issues with it.
>
> the error messages point to a misshing header file - specifically
> windows.h - not that the gcc/make executables can't be found. I do have
> those in the PATH.
>

> > Keep in mind that the ruby version you're using *must* be the one
> > build with MinGW, and will not work with the one build with VC6. To
> > spot this difference run "ruby -v" and see the platform information.
> >
> > mswin32: VC6 build
> > mingw32: MinGW (GCC) build
> >

> I appreciate that - I was not aware of the fact that they had to
> 'match'. I've definitely got the VC6 build, so that's most likely my
> problem.
>
> > using --without-* you're excluding the 'include' files, the opposite
> > that you want to achieve :-)
> >
> > Use --with-opt-include=C:/server/mingw/include
>
> I've tried all of the options that appeared to be useful - no luck. I
> think it's the issue above.
>

> > HTH,
>
> Thanks so much for the reply and the assistance!
>
> c.
> --

Dear Cayce,

some time ago, there was a gems compilation on Vista discussion on this list:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/162379

I tried to compile some gems in Windows Vista, but could not get VC6 to install
at all on Vista...
As the problem to be solved was to install hpricot, there's a precompiled way to do
this (see my post on 30.08.2008 15:59 on the thread above).

I did some research to find out that IIRC  _why, the author of hpricot, had actually cross-compiled the Windows gem on some *nix version.

For the eventmachine gem, there are also binary versions on Rubyforge.

Please let us know if you do get VC6 to compile on Windows Vista (and how).

Best regards,

Axel

--
GMX Kostenlose Spiele: Einfach online spielen und Spa? haben mit Pastry Passion!