Ch Asif wrote:
> Daniel Bush wrote:
>> Ch Asif wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Which linux?
>> You can install ruby via the distro you are using.  Or you can install
>> from source.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I have Fedora Core 6 on VmWare. Thanks

The following are the steps that I performed to install ruby on my linux
machine.

I went to http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ There I found out a
section with the heading Ruby Source Code

I pick the url of the link for the file using the right click and
choosing the 'copy link location' in my firefox.

Then I went to the shell on my linux and put the following command

shell> wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.gz

This downloaded the ruby source code to my root directory. I extracted
the file using the following command

shell> tar -xvf ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.gz

This command extracted the source archieve to ruby-1.8.7-p72 directory.
Then I enter into this ruby-1.8.7-p72 directory and executed the
following command

shell> ./configure

This is actually not a command rather a script, that is run to check the
required configurations for the installation purposes. At the successful
run of this script I executed the following command

shell> make

This make command compiled the code. At the end of the make command I
executed the following command

shell> make install

This make install command installed the ruby and placed the ruby files
in appropriate folders.

Thats all to what I did for installing ruby on a linux machine.

You can confirm your ruby installation by using the following command

shell> ruby -v

This same text is also available on
http://linux-certification.blogspot.com/2008/10/setting-up-ruby-on-linux.html