2008/9/30 James Gray <james / grayproductions.net>:
> On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Hubert picki wrote:
>
>> I am using Iconv library wrapper to convert texts to UTF8, but it's
>> throwing "Iconv::IllegalSequence" exception.
>
> You can add a //TRANSLIT to the end of the "to" encoding to have Iconv
> attempt to convert characters to reasonable equivalents in that encoding.
> This is usually more helpful when your input is all one encoding and just
> has some characters that won't translate well (like a UTF-8 กฤ going to
> ISO-8859-1).
>
> Your case of mixed encodings is probably best handled with //IGNORE instead,
> which asks Iconv to skip over any characters that cannot be converted.  You
> will loose some data with this, but it will convert what it can.
>
> You can also use //TRANSLIT//IGNORE to convert what can be converted and
> skip the rest.

Thanks, //IGNORE//TRANSLIT seems to help a bit - but it's not perfect.
I am loosing characters like British pound that were placed in
us-ascii encoding for example. Is there some smart library out there
that can help with common problems like this one?

I have noticed that there is ICU (http://www.icu-project.org/) library
for C++ that I could use if it's any smarter - anyone had any
experience with it?

Best,
H.

--