On 1/17/02 3:17 PM, "HarryO" <harryo / zipworld.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:46:56 +1100, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>

>> Now I switch to zsh and try: ruby fact.rb 10 and get "permission
>> denied." How can permissions depend on the shell?
>
> Are you running as the same user?  Ie, were you perhaps root the
> first time and are now a non-root user?  That could explain it.
>
> For that matter, if you were user A and are now user B, that
> could explain it, too.
>
> What does an "ls -l" on the ruby executable say?

Thanks for responding. I finally figured it out. I wasn't changing who I
was, I was only changing a Terminal preference and opening a new session.
But, different shell, different $PATH, which is obvious in hindsight. That
and the funny error message that zsh gives when one tries to execute a
directory were confusing me.

BTW, ls -l shows I do indeed have execute permission on that directory but I
have no idea what that means.

--
Adults are obsolete children.
-Dr. Seuss, humorist, illustrator, and author (1904-1991)