On Thursday 25 September 2008 07:50 am, Lex Williams wrote:
> the first line should be
> #!/usr/bin/ruby
> or wherever your script is.

^ s/script/ruby interpreter/

> Next, you have to mark the script as beeing executable .
>
> chmod +x foo.rb
>
> Note that since the first line of your script is #!/usr/bin/ruby ( or
> wherever your ruby binary is located ) , the script's name doesn't
have
> to end with .rb.

> After that , you can just write :
> ./foo

... assuming (I know) you are "in" the directory where the script is.

Alternatively, you can:

   * put the script in a directory on the path that Linux searches for
executables (then just type foo) (run =set | grep PATH=)
   * change the path which Linux searches for executables to include the
path where your script is located (again, run =set | grep PATH=)
   * include the full path to the executable on the command line,
e.g.: /<whatever>/foo

(Just feeling pedantic, I guess.)

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.