Chris Gehlker <gehlker / fastq.com> writes:

> I couldn't find ulimit in my one Linux book. I'm guessing that it
> has something to do with setting how much stack and heap any user
> gets. Can't do that here. Every user gets all they want until the
> memory manager runs out of swap space.

Er, try man pages:

man bash, search for ulimit:

ulimit [-SHacdflmnpstuv [limit]]
       Provides control over the resources available to the shell and
       to processes started by it, on systems that allow such control.
       The -H and -S options specify that the hard or soft limit is
       set for the given resource.  A hard limit cannot be increased
       once it is set; a soft limit may be increased up to the value
       of the hard limit.  If neither -H nor -S is specified, both the
       soft and hard limits are set.  The value of limit can be a
       number in the unit specified for the resource or one of the
       special values hard, soft, or unlim- ited, which stand for the
       current hard limit, the current soft limit, and no limit,
       respectively.  If limit is omitted, the current value of the
       soft limit of the resource is printed, unless the -H option is
       given.  When more than one resource is specified, the limit
       name and unit are printed before the value.  Other options are
       interpreted as follows:
       -a     All current limits are reported
       -c     The maximum size of core files created
       -d     The maximum size of a process's data segment
       -f     The maximum size of files created by the shell
       -l     The maximum size that may be locked into memory
       -m     The maximum resident set size
       -n     The maximum number of open file descriptors (most
              systems do not allow this value to be set)
       -p     The pipe size in 512-byte blocks (this may not be set)
       -s     The maximum stack size
       -t     The maximum amount of cpu time in seconds
       -u     The maximum number of processes available to a single user
       -v     The maximum amount of virtual memory available to the shell

Are you sure darwin does not support setting a stack size limit?  I'd
be surprised...

--
Josh Huber