Tony Strauss <tony.strauss / designingpatterns.com> wrote:

> matt neuburg wrote:
> > Now, however, I have regenerated my ri documentation once again with
> > this new version of RDoc and things seem to be working just fine with
> > "ri". That's great! It's fast, and the new interactive mode is a great
> > help.
> >
> > But there's just one thing. "ri File#read" still doesn't work ("Nothing
> > known about File.read"). Is this because the 1.8.6 source files are
> > faulty?
> >
> > Thx - m.
> I think that I'm able to reproduce the symptoms.  This occurs for me
> because the documentation that came with Ruby 1.8.7 is broken; the YAML
> file describing the File class for ri has an empty superclass field.

Perhaps my focusing on "File" is a bit misleading; I presume that 1.8.6
just has deeper issues of its own, since when you say "ri File" under
1.8.6 what you get is a report on "ftools", not the built-in File class:

http://ruby-doc.org/core/

(click File in the Classes column)

But it is fixed in 1.8.7:

http://ruby-doc.org/core-1.8.7/index.html

> There does seem to be some kind of bug with rdoc, however, because the
> superclass still is missing when I generate ri files from the Ruby
> source code with RDoc 2.2.0.  I'll investigate why this is happening.

Cool, thanks so much for looking into this. I meant to report that I'm
not getting superclass information on any classes when I use "ri" (and
this has been true for a couple of versions now, I think). I don't know
what the expected behavior is here, though.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt / tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-customizing.html