On Sep 19, 3:42=A0am, Damjan Rems <d_r... / yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jan Pilz wrote:
> > Hi Damjan,
>
> > binaries are included in the Windows qt4 gem, but gem forces to use
> > "nmake" even if nmake does nothing. Thats why nmake is included in this
> > gem, but it is a 2008 version, so you need to install vcredist_x86 (200=
8
> > !!! version), if this does not work please try the 2005 SP1 Version of
> > vcredist_x86, and please let me know which version works with it
>
> I have instaled Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable
> Package (x86) and now gem installs properly. I am on Vista. gem -v =A0=3D=
>
> 1.2.0
>
> I will submit a bug on ruby gems project.
>
> by
> TheR

You're getting the building native extension issue since the gem
specification file that defines the gem contains the reference to the
extension extconf file.

Gems that are supposed to be "native" for a specific platform should
have their extensions definition emtpy. pure-ruby or the ones that
requires building those, should contain the extconf, makefile or other
references for RubyGems to fire the proper process for them.

On a side note, bundling nmake.exe is a direct violation of
distributing licenses of Microsoft Visual Studio.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena