On Thursday 18 September 2008 05:34 pm, Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> It accomplishes whatever it has been defined to accomplish. If you do
[]=
> there is no assigment happening unless there's an actual, real
assigmnent
> in []='s method definition. It's not different from any other method
in that
> regard. Consider this:
> class Foo
>   def []=(x,y)
>     # Do nothing at all
>   end
> end
> Foo.new[1]=2 # No assigment whatsoever has taken place.

> HTH,

Sebastien,

Thanks, I think it does, but it still doesn't influence me to think of
it as a method, or to think it's of any practical difference to an
assignment.

In C++, I could overload the = operator (I think) to do something
different than assignment--if I did, I'd just confuse myself (at least
in most circumstances).  In Ruby, somebody could make the []= method do
something other than assignment, but that would just be confusing (in
most circumstances), so I'd try to avoid it.

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.