Glen Holcomb wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Glen Holcomb <damnbigman / gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've tried a generic ICMP packet but that doesn't work under Windows with
>> the standard Ruby build and I don't have the tools/time to build it my self
>> under Windows.
>>
>> --
>> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
>> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>>
>> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
>>

> Here is the full method if anyone wants more context:
>
>   # Lets find MAC addresses for the machines in the list
>   def find_macs
>     # This technique will only give MAC addresses for the machines on
> our
> subnet.
>     #    However since those are the only ones we can wake it doesn't
> really
> matter.
>     #    It is nasty slow and a better way should be found some day.
>
>     DB[:computers].each do |computer|
>       begin
>         Net::PingExternal.new(computer[:name]).ping
>       rescue SocketError => exception
>         next
>       end
>     end
>
>     arp_table = `arp -a`.split("\n")[2..-1]
>
>     arp_table.each do |address|
>       full_name = Socket.gethostbyname(address.split(' ')[0])
>
>       comp = Computer.find :name => full_name.split('.')[0]
>       comp.mac = address.split(' ')[1].gsub!('-', ':')
>       comp.save
>     end
>     close()
>   end # find_macs

NMap is very fast and comes in a WinDoze flavor.

Since you're already mashing up the arp output,
I assume you will have no qualms about doing the
same for NMap output.

Not a pure Ruby solution but then NMap is open source
so if you're really into purity you could transcribe it's
approach to WinDoze discovery (maybe...possibly...)

But if expedience is the order of the day...

http://nmap.org/

You'll need WinPCap as well (the packet capture lib)

http://www.winpcap.org/

djief