Adam Shelly wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Nick Bo <bornemann1 / nku.edu> wrote:
>> I dont want to know how many characters are in a word i want to find the
>> word itself so how would i set it up so I could see how many instances
>> of the word is in the string? would it be something like
>>

> irb> st = 'cat cat fox'
> => "cat cat fox"
> irb> sa = st.split
> => ["cat", "cat", "fox"]
>
> # since the string is now in the array, you can search the array
> instead of the string.
> irb> sa.grep(sa[0]).size
> => 2
>
> #if you have to search through a string, here's a hack:
> irb> ct=0;st.gsub(sa[0]){ct+=1};ct
> => 2
>

> -Adam

This was the simplest for me to understand since I am very new to using
Ruby THANK YOU SOOO MUCH.  Though it still needs tweaking it gives me
alot of 1's for some reason?  Ill show you EVERYTHING i got now.

./wordcount <words

#This is the words doc.
bar bar bar bar bar bar
baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz
eggs eggs eggs
lovely
spam spam spam spam

#this is the wordsArray printing
bar     bar     bar     bar     bar     bar     baz     baz     baz
baz     baz     baz     baz     baz      baz     baz     baz     eggs
eggs    eggs    lovely  spam    spam    spam    spam

#this is the countArray printing.
666666111111111111111111111133314444

:::HERES MY CODE:::

string = ""
i=0
while words = gets
    string << words
end

#print words doc, and then print the array and each variable with a tab.
print string
wordsArray = string.split
wordsArray.each do
    print wordsArray[i] + "\t"
    i=i+1
end

#aesthetic purposes for me
print "\n\n"

countArray = []
i=0
wordsArray.each do
    countArray.push(wordsArray.grep(wordsArray[i]).size)
    i=i+1
end
    print countArray

obivously when i process as well i will not need repetition such as:
bar = 6
bar = 6
etc...

But i am hoping hash with a mixture of repetitive values and keys will
be able to show just one of each type of word that is counted through
the program.  Now why is it give me a bunch of 1's though?