Randy Kramer wrote:
> What is the practical point of saying it is not an assignment? =A0Yes, I =
know
> that the underlying thing is a method, and somehow a[2] =3D 3 is syntactic
> sugar (I guess), for a.[]=3D(2,3), but in the end, it accomplishes an
> assignment.

It accomplishes whatever it has been defined to accomplish. If you do []=3D=
=20
there is no assigment happening unless there's an actual, real assigmnent
in []=3D's method definition. It's not different from any other method in t=
hat=20
regard. Consider this:
class Foo
  def []=3D(x,y)
    # Do nothing at all
=46oo.new[1]=3D2 # No assigment whatsoever has taken place.

HTH,
Sebastian
=2D-=20
Jabber: sepp2k / jabber.org