------art_38619_23535811.1221750850450

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Lex Williams <etaern / yahoo.com> wrote:

> steping back in time would be a great feature for the debugger to have.
> I'm sure it would greatly reduce debugging time .

There are a few specialized debuggers which allow time-travel to one degree
or another.

However, to do this they need to save lots of information every time the
program 'steps' whether you are stepping through the program with the
debugger or just letting it run.  I'm not sure I'd want to endure the
overhead until I really needed it.

Here's a link to someone at Cisco who extended Eclipse to allow such
temporal debugging using a complete system simulation for an embedded
system:

http://www.danbourque.com/home

And here's a google video of Bil Lewis demonstrating his "Omniscient
Debugger" for Java.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid897010229726822034&hl
--
Rick DeNatale