Me Me wrote:
> Brian Candler wrote:
>>> is there a way to use the scanf to parse a string not knowing how many
>>> chars?
>>
>> I'd still use Regexp.
>>

> thanks,
> but what I would like to avoid regexp, it seems strange to me that
> there's no way to parse a string providing the structure.

Well, you can always write a BreakApart() algorithm but I must agree
with Brian that RegEx is the way to go.  After all, that is what RegEx
does.  I was tempted to add BreakApart() code here but I am neither sure
that it is what you really want nor that it is the best solution for the
problem at hand.

What is the *actual* problem?  If it is what you said ("I would like to
know if there's a better way to parse a string and assing values to
variables;") then RegEx is a fine solution.  If you reject a good
solution and seek something else, then it can only be that you are
actually seeking a solution to a different problem.  So, what are you
*really* looking for?