> thanks,
> but what I would like to avoid regexp, it seems strange to me that
> there's no way to parse a string providing the structure.
> scanf would be great but if I put %s it doesn't get the string, unless I
> put the number of chars.

%s is terminated by whitespace. You have no way of telling scanf that
you want to treat "=" (after the first field) and "," (after the second
field) as separators, rather than characters to be consumed by %s.

Well, as long as your data doesn't contain spaces, you could do

  line="Client=MPEG-4,390000,700000,24000"
  line.gsub(/[=,]/,' ').scanf("%s %s %d %d %d")