Alle Thursday 18 September 2008, Nit Khair ha scritto:
> $ ri File::append
> gives me:
>
>      File::append( file, str )
>      Append to a file.
>
>        CREDIT: George Moschovitis
>
> `$ri File` also shows me append as a class method.
>
> However, my html documentation does not give this (1.8.6). Trying to use
> `File::append` in irb or ruby fails (no such method). Even google has no
> entry for this class method.
>
> What mistake am I making ?

It's part of the facets library. Unfortunately, ri doesn't show the name of
the file where a method or class is defined or the library or gem it comes
from. To use that method, since it seems you already have facets installed,
you need to do this:

require 'rubygems' #unless it's already defined in the RUBYOPT environment
                   #variable
require 'facets/file/write'
File.append(file, str)

I hope this helps