Thanks for all the help but with a little more research i found this to
be the easiest solution for my beginner knowledge thanks for all the
help.

#set up first array

characters = 'a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C
D E F G ...H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9'
characterArray = characters.split

#set up next array by using a loop to determine the ASCII value of each
...character

ascii=""
characterArray.each do |a|

    ascii << "#{a.to_s[0]} \t"

end

#take the ascii string and then do a .split in order to build another
array.
asciiArray = ascii.split

#start the table format
print "Character \t ASCII \n"

#initialize i as 0 in order to go through each array and print the
character    ...and ascii value.
i=0

#print each value and keep doing it until there is no more arrays for
...asciiArray (would work for characterArray as well)
asciiArray.each do
    print "#{characterArray[i]} \t \t #{asciiArray[i]} \n"
    i=i+1