In article <3C45DDBB.2D5AEAF2 / prescod.net>,
Paul Prescod  <paul / prescod.net> wrote:
>"Avdi B. Grimm" wrote:

>> ... Perl provides an interface to native
>> threads, as does Python (although I've heard that Python's
>> implementation is fairly crude).

[snip]

>It is my understanding that threads in Perl are also somewhat crude --
>just in very different ways than in Python. In fact I often hear Perl
>programmers say that you just shouldn't use threads in Perl because they
>are broken. Unfortunately, I think Perl is on about its third attempt to
>do threads so it is very hard for me to keep straight in my mind what
>the different schemes are and what their limitations are.

Yes, there have been 2 or 3 different threading schemes in Perl.  About a
year ago I tried using threads in Perl - I believe it was in 5.6 - and in
order to do so I actually had to compile a new Perl executable with
threads turned on - and after all that I couldn't get them to do what I
wanted.

>I don't want to do a bunch of research on this but google turns up, for
>example:
>http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-perl/2000-June/000030.html
>http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2001/08/01/artur.html
>
>(you've got two Perl experts there discussing the common perception that
>Perl threads are not usable)

Phil