On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Bill Walton <bill.walton / charter.net> wrote:
> Hi Judy,
>
> Clinton D. Judy wrote:
>

>> I'm going to this conference 90% to learn Ruby and
>> keep up with the Ruby world, and 10% or so to meet
>> and hang out with other Rubyists.
>
> That's what all conferences are about.  Just ask.  Don't pre-judge your
> boss.  (S)he may not be the a$$hole you're afraid of.

To be honest, going to Ruby conferences is about 90% a chance for me
to meet up and (possibly) do interesting work with other Rubyists, and
10% learning.

That's not to say that I don't learn more than 10% of the time, I'm
just saying I prefer conference that *aren't* all about training and
information, or have special sections for that to accommodate a wide
variety of interests.

To be perfectly honest, if you want to spend 90% of your time
learning, you might be better off asking your workplace to send you to
a training session.

-greg

--
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech