Peña, Botp wrote:
> fr what i can guess and gather, i think you need a hash with vars as
> keys whose values you want to change anytime

As I thought more and more about this, I began to realize that I already
had such a thing created for me, since all of these variables I was
pulling directly out of request parameters.

So, before, I had something along these lines:
http://pastebin.com/f55d4b664

And now, I modify the values directly in the params hash, then pass them
along to the template at the end: http://pastebin.com/fa6863e

Peña, Botp wrote:
> better to give us a sample php code

Once again, I was being silly and forgot that this project resides on
GitHub: http://github.com/xiongchiamiov/webwork/

Rick Denatale wrote:
> This may or may not help you understand the relationship between
> variables,
> references, and objects in Ruby. I wrote it quite some time ago.
>
> http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/articles/2006/09/13/on-variables-values-and-objects

That article firmed up for me that Ruby treats variables the same way as
Python, at least in my limited experience with both.

The part that it made me realize, though was that the way Ruby is
structured allows you to put values in an array, then modify the
originals, and the array is changed:

irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> b = 2
=> 2
irb(main):003:0> c = 3
=> 3
irb(main):004:0> arr = [a, b, c]
=> [1, 2, 3]
irb(main):005:0> a = 0
=> 0
irb(main):006:0> arr
=> [0, 2, 3]

But not what I was trying to do, which is to change the array, and have
the values propagate backwards:

irb(main):001:0> a = 1
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> b = 2