On Wednesday 16 January 2002 04:36 pm, you wrote:
> At 03:50 PM 1/14/02, David Alan Black wrote:
> > > I read Fish because, well, I'm weird. But I'm also interested in the
> > > ways that code unintentionally tricks the reader. The rather simple
> > > techniques of affective stylistics might help programmers write better,
> > > be better at finding "code smells".

In my criticism class, I personally was so disgusted with the pseudo-science
utilized by modern literary critics that when I first saw your post I was
initially turned off, until you mentioned Reader Response, the oldest and
most sane approach of the bunch.

I see now what you were doing and I applaud it.  I like this kind of
questioning and probing into how and why we do what we do.

Indeed, if we can learn patterns from architects, we can learn things about
coding style from those other long time communicators, fiction and
non-fiction writers.

No man is an island.
--
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of