-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:49:15 +0900
> Von: "Wu Nan" <i.wunan+rubymail / gmail.com>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: How to convert the charset of texts in a Execl which has multi-language text and charset?

> Hello all,
>
> I want to use Ruby to read a excel file's content and convert them in to
> UTF-8.
> However, in that file there are many different language texts, such as
> Greek, Japanese, Korea, Russia and so on.
> So I use Iconv to convert the them into UTF-8.
> I searched the internet, some article said the default charset of Excel is
> UTF-16LE.
> So I use the codes below:
>
> Iconv.conv("UTF-8","UTF-16",$excel.Cells(row,col).value.to_s)
>
> And the contents in excel are(each line is a cell)
> (Please wait)
> (Veuillez attendre)
> (Bitte warten)
> (Espere un momento)
> (Attendere, prego)
> (Even geduld aub)
> (էڧ)
> (Aguarde)
> ( )

> After I run it, I get a Error:
> in `conv': ")" (Iconv::InvalidCharacter)
>
> It seems that the in UTF-16, the ( is not '('?????????
>
> Then I changed the 'UTF-16' in to 'GB2312'(the default charset of my
> system),but it cannot convert the Koean character correctly. All the Koean
> characters became ?????????????????
>
> I use Ruby 1.8.6 on WinXP Sp3.
>
> How could I resolve it ?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Nan

Dear Nan,

after some searching, I found that there is a special encoding for Korean characters, EUC-KR.
I managed to convert your Korean text from UTF-8 to EUC-KR, write it to a file and display it correctly in Firefox, once
the right encoding is set in the Preferences (EUC-KR in this case, but I can also display Korean text in UTF-8.)

So I think you'll be successful by making sure you convert from EUC-KR to UTF-8 for the Korean, and to UTF-8 for everything else.

Best regards,

Axel