> What is the definitive ruby book?  The oreilly book or the pragmatic
> programmers book?

The O'Reilly "Ruby in a Nutshell" book is a typical O'Reilly nutshell guide.
It's very terse and doesn't provide much, if any, example code.

I seem to enjoy the Pragmatic book more than "The Ruby Way," but I think
that's a personal thing.   If you can get to a store that has them, I'd get
all the Ruby books and sit down for a while with them and buy the ones that
seem to work for you.  For example, "The Ruby Way" has an excellent
introduction to Ruby even though it's not an introductory book.

Personally, I could have saved the money and just gotten the Pragmatic
"Programming Ruby" book, but I ordered "The Ruby Way" and the Nutshell guide,
unseen.  I do look things up in the Nutshell guide.  It's handy and thin,
easy to work with.    "The Ruby Way" is a great source of examples of how to
accomplish typical DP tasks in Ruby, and it would probably be essential if
you were coding a large system that needed to accomplish a variety of things.

Eirikur