On Sep 10, 8:19  ꮮ
> James M. Lawrence wrote:
> > If 'task' became 'multitask', Rake would run all your tasks at once --
> > all at the same time.
>
> > [...] It's a math problem.
> > 'multitask' stomps it all to pieces, having the power to declare 2 + 5
> > = 8 if it so chooses.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, but if you are trying to
> imply that multitask does not honor dependencies in ordering, you are
> incorrect.      > all of its dependencies have finished.
>
> That being said, there is a known bug in multitask where failures in
> dependencies are not properly transmitted to all dependent tasks.   > don't think you were refering to that.

I did not mean to imply there was something wrong with standard Rake.
It was being argued that Drake should retain the 'multitask' feature
for backwards compatibility.  But from the point of view of Drake,
'multitask' is a mistake, the antithesis of everything Drake tries to
achieve.  At a given point during execution, what is parallelizable is
a math problem with only one answer.  But multitask comes prancing in
and announces: "I'm going to parallelize you, you, and you, just
because it's my birthday and I'm in a good mood."  And then Drake is
like, "WTF are you doing?  Not only is that the wrong answer to the
math problem, you're also trashing the node-locking algorithms."

> If 'task' became 'multitask', Rake would run all your tasks at once --
> all at the same time.  That's probably not what you want :)

Now that I read my own words here, I see it is misleading.  I should
have said: If 'task' became 'multitask', Rake would run all your tasks
at once, one per thread all at the same time, but each thread would
still block until prereqs are filled.  Which *could* be what you want
on a small project, but even a small project can have enough tasks to
bog it down.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread, I did not mean to imply
Jim moved to github just for me.  He was moving anyway.  Due to my
asking for a branch commit in the SVN repository, he may have moved a
little sooner.  Which was convenient for me.  Thanks.

JL