I have a list of variables that I need to pass through a modifying
function.  Rather than specify for each one, I have them in an array,
and I loop through the array:

wml_needed = [@question, @answer_explanation]
wml_needed.each {|chunk| chunk = wml(chunk)}

The problem is that, unlike practically everything else in Ruby, each
loops don't pass by reference, so my assignments get lost.

Just to make sure, calling the function directly *does* work as
expected:

@question = wml(@question)

In PHP, I can add an ampersand (&) to the name (chunk, in this example)
to pass by reference instead of by copy; is there something similar in
Ruby, or should I be approaching this with a different method?

I realize that there are only two items in this example, but I'm
building for having many more.